There must be thousands of coffee cake recipes out there, but this is my absolute favourite.
I think this is the first cake I ever made from scratch some 20 odd years ago. My host mother taught me how to make it when I was an exchange student in Ohio. She used to make it sometimes as a Sunday treat and my sister and I would wake up to the smell of coffee and cinammon wafting through the house. I make this coffee cake quite often, it’s very easy and many of my friends and colleagues love it.
- 1 cup (230g) butter (room temperature)
- 2 cups (385g) sugar
- 4 eggs (L) (room temperature)
- 3 cups (300g) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (237ml) milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (190g) sugar
- 1 cup (120g) chopped walnuts or pecans
- 3 teaspoons flour
- 2 teaspoons cinammon
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175° C.
- Grease a baking pan (approx. 9 x 13- inch / 23 x 33 cm) or line with parchment paper.
- Just throw together all the ingredients for the batter in a bowl and beat until creamy.
- In a second bowl combine the ingredients for the filling and lightly stir with a spoon.
- Pour half of the batter into the pan, sprinkle half the filling, carefully add the other half of the batter and spinkle the rest of the topping on the cake.
- Bake for 40 to 45min.