One of my friends is a vegan and she loves poppy seed, so when I saw this recipe I thought I should bake it for her. This is adapted from allotment2kitchen’s Vegan Lemon and Orange Poppy seed Cake recipe.
- 1½ cups & 4 tablespoons (230g) plain flour
- 12 tablespoons (150g) golden caster sugar
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 oz (225ml) water
- ½ cup (140ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 4½ oz (125ml) freshly pressed orange juice
- 12 tablespoons (100g) poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 355° F / 180 ° C
- Grease and flour a 10 inch / 26cm bundt pan.
- In a big bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients and zest and mix until well combined.
- Then gently and evenly fold in the poppy seeds.
- Carefully pour the batter into the bundt pan and bake for 45 minutes.
I know the cake looks somewhat strange, but it truly tasted really great. I think this is the first vegan cake I made that I actually liked.